The Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre is ready to once again welcome people of all ages back to the facility to take part in recreational and training activities. After being closed for several months to help keep the community safe, the doors are ready to open to a safe and fun space.
Staff have been very busy behind the scenes preparing for a safe return for the public. The facility will be having enhanced cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection taking place in all areas of the building with integrated time slots to allow for deeper cleaning between scheduled visits.
The 65m and 25m pools are open Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for length swimming, water walking and lane exercising only. Swim times will begin at 7:00 a.m. in 45-minute increments with 30 minutes in between for cleaning and disinfecting. The warm water and hydrotherapy pools and sauna will remain closed at this time. Drop-in's will only be accepted if swim times are not filled.
Attendees must have a valid pool or fitness pass to attend or you can purchase general admission. Pre-booking online is highly recommended to reduce wait times however you can also email or call 519-756-9900 to book. Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
The ice has been put in on Rinks 3 and 4 and will be open on Wednesday, July 29 for Figure Skating and Athletic Team trainings only at this time. Skaters will be required to come prepared to go onto the ice. Dressing rooms will be closed at this time.
Beginning Tuesday, August 4, the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre Weight Room and some fitness classes will resume with a number of new protocols.
What to expect:
- To maintain a limited capacity of people at one time, online or over the phone reservations will be required to attend dedicated time slots to use the weight room and attend fitness classes.
- Enhanced disinfecting protocols (for staff and patrons) and deep cleaning of equipment and high-touch services will occur.
- Equipment will be spaced out in the weight room and individual stations will be set up for fitness classes to ensure proper physical distancing.
- Directional signage will be in place to encourage one-way flow of traffic
- The weight room will be available for use Monday to Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and 5:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., and Saturdays from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Additional time slots will be opened based on demand.
- All weight room visits will be in 60-minute increments and there will be a maximum of 12 people allowed per time slot
- A variety of fitness classes, ranging from 45 to 60 minutes, will take place in the mornings and evenings, and there will be a maximum of 12 people allowed per class
- Beginning Wednesday, July 29 at 9:00 a.m., online reservations will be open to book use of the weight room or attend fitness classes. Please visit brantford.ca/RecConnect, email email@example.com or call 519-756-9900 to book a time.
- Following the first reservation week (August 4 to 8), time slots will open up on a weekly basis each Wednesday at 8:00 am for the following week (Monday to Sunday)
During the facility closure, the staff started online training on Facebook with Fitness at the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre. Trainers posted daily with modified training at home to help keep their viewers active and motivated.
So whether you want to continue training at home or are ready to come back, the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre is ready to help you swim, skate & train at Brantford’s premier sports and recreation centre.