For nearly a century, the Bell Memorial has proudly stood as a symbol of Brantford’s place in telephone history. The Bell Memorial, located in Bell Memorial Gardens Park at the intersection of West, Albion, and King Streets, is a monument to the accomplishments of the Brantford citizen, who worked on early designs and prototypes of the telephone while living and working right here in Brantford.
Internationally renowned Canadian sculptor, Walter S. Allward designed the monument; Allward is also known for his design of the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France. The Bell Memorial is one of Allward’s finest early works, and an excellent example of neoclassical design in the City of Brantford. The Bell Memorial commemorates the invention of the telephone in Brantford. It was unveiled before the great inventor himself – Alexander Graham Bell – on October 24, 1917. The photo above shows Bell in front of the monument during the unveiling ceremonies in 1917.
On October 24, 2017 starting at 11am, the City of Brantford invites everyone to join us to celebrate the Bell Memorial’s 100th anniversary. The highlight of the ceremony will undoubtedly be a special interpretive dance, “The Art of Communication,” choreographed by Dr. Bell’s great granddaughter, Elsie Myers Martin.
The descendants of Alexander Graham Bell and representatives from Bell Canada will rededicate the newly restored Bell Memorial and the surrounding park beginning at 11am. Funding for this rededication has been generously provided by the Alexander and Mabel Bell Legacy Foundation and Bell Canada.